Wednesday 1 January 2014

[2013 Year End Review] 2013 End of Year Tag!

I found this survey while browsing the internet one day. I believe the original source comes from The Perpetual Page Turner. So thank you for coming up with this end of year tag.

NOTE: I've only answered the questions related to books.
 
1. Best Book You Read In 2013? (If you have to cheat — you can break it down by genre if you want or 2013 release vs. backlist)
  
Adult Fiction
Beneath this Man by Jodi Ellen Malpas.

Paranormal Fiction (YA and Adult)
Fighting Destiny by Amelia Hutchins

YA
The Elite by Kiera Cass

New Adult
Fallen Crest High by Tijan

For a month to month list: Check my post on the Tea Worthy Books of the Year

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
 
Allegiant by Veronica Roth, The Redhead Plays Her Hand by Alice Clayton. Yea, I know these are some of my fav authors but seriously, it wasn't as good as I expected.
 
Oh and the Maze Runner by James Dashner, that was a total flop in my opinion in terms of going in with a lot of hype.
 
Check out my reviews for more comments:
  • Allegiant
  • The Redhead Plays Her Hand
  • The Maze Runner 
3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013? 

Tears of Tess by Pepper Winters. I'll admit I went into this with low expectations and just needing a book to read in between releases and boredom. Many people were recommending this online so I figured why not give it a shot. The Monsters in the Dark series soon became one of my fav books and I immediately had to read the sequel (thank goodness it just released when I finished reading Tears of Tess.) I'm now one of those readers anxiously waiting for the third book to be released and to continue the journey of two lost souls, Tess and Q, who found each other and attempt to stay together.
 
4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?
 
The Selection by Keira Cass.

5. Best series you discovered in 2013?
 
The Selection and Fighting Destiny series.
 
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?
 
Amelia Hutchins of the Fighting Destiny series and Alice Clayton.
 
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?

Feral Sins by Suzanne Wright introduced me to the world of adult paranormal erotica. Yes Kelley Armstrong is sort of that but the main focus is on the paranormal aspect rather than the adult content. Feral Sins is more focused on the adult content while using the parnormal aspect as a genre to share the story. Feral Sins is amazing and definitely led me on the path of adult werewolf romances.
 
The Too Far/Rosmary Beach series by Abbi Glines were the first to truly introduce me to the world of new adult. Now, I appreciate what a good read New Adult fiction can be and it's all because of this series. Definitely go read it if you haven't already!

8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?
 
Fighting Destiny by Amelia Hutchins
 
9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
 
Any of the books from the Fighting Destiny series.
 
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?
 
Black City by Elizabeth Richards takes this one for me. There is just so much symbolism in this cover. It's even more beautiful after reading the story just because I understand what each effect in the picture represents now. I read the book mainly because of the cover, and I'm glad I did because Black City was an amazing read and let me think about some interesting topics that I normally wouldn't think about.
 
 11. Most memorable character in 2013? 

Syn and Ryder from the Fighting Destiny series.

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?
 
Fighting Destiny by Amelia Hutchins. An excellent debut novel filled with everything I enjoy to find in a book. Conflict, heated romance and a really good plot line with tons of action.
 
13. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read? 
 
Black City and the Daughter of Smoke and Bone. As well as The Grisha series. What was I thinking starting that series so late... Crazy was what I was.
 
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013?
"I don't demand to see her eyes anymore. I don't need to check she's real. As long as my heart keeps beating. I'll know that she is. End of" - This Man Confessed by Jodi Ellen Malpas
"Think before you speak, because words can really hurt, and you can't take back what you said, because the damage is already done" - Something Great by M. Clarke
"My needs are my downfall. I'm a monster in human skin" - Tears of Tess by Pepper Winters
"The snow on the crosses had turned pink as it soaks up the dried blood stained into the wood. It's chilling watching students play beside the crosses, but that's life in Black City. Everywhere you turn you're reminded of death, but you have to block it out, otherwise you couldn't carry on living" & "A strong breeze stirs the ash on the charred buildings surrounding us, scattering black flakes into the air. I feel like I'm inside a giant snow globe. It's really quite beautiful; why had I never noticed it before?" - Black City by Elizabeth Richards
14. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
 
The ending of Allegiant and probably tons of scenes from various books.
 
15. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).

Syn and Ryder because they're honestly amazing.
 
16. Favorite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read Previously

The Fire Witness by Lars Kepler. Kepler's one of my fav crime/mystery authors. The Fire Witness was different from the other two in the Jonna Linna series in that it's main purpose (in my opinion) was to set up the story for the fourth book in the series. It did a good job though because I can't wait for the next novel!
 
17. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:
 
Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardogo
 
18. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013?
 
Most definitely New Adult/border-line Adult or Erotica. Sorry dystopia lit.
 
19. Best 2013 debut you read?
 
Fighting Destiny by Amelia Hutchins. Absolutely amazing. I'm so glad it's getting the attention it deserves.
 
20. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?
 
Daughter of Smoke and Bone by . I'm not sure how she comes up with this world but it's a weird place and it works. Really well.
 
Close Second is Black City although I feel like it's more of the atmosphere of that world that I enjoy rather than the imagination of creating a whole new land.
 
21. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013?

Wallbanger by Alice Clayton. I still think about all the good laughs I got out of reading that book.
 
22. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013?
 
Allegiant by Veronica Roth. Oh boy. Read my review if you want more details.
 
23. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?

This Man series by Jodi Ellen Malpas. It's definitely picked up pace now and is highly recommended but when I first started reading it, no one really knew it. It was all about 50 shades or the Crossfire series. This Man was in the shadows until people started to realize how amazing it truly is.

Fighting Destiny also started up slow. At first not many knew of it. In fact I happened to stumble upon it by accident one day. I'm really glad I did though because it's most definitely one of my favourite books of the year and was added to my 'favourite' shelf.

24. One book you didn’t get to in 2013 but will be your Number 1 priority in 2014?
 
Anything Tijan. There are so many other books by the author I have yet to read and I really do want to read them!

25. Book you are most anticipating for 2014 (non-debut)?
 
The One by Keira Cass.
 
Close Second is Seducing Destiny by Amelia Hutchins.
 
26. Series ending you are most anticipating in 2014?
 
Hands down The One, the last book in the Selection series. May can't come fast enough!!!

27. One thing you hope to accomplish or do in your reading/blogging in 2014?

Actually post something once a week! It's been hard with university and all the work that comes with it but I'm determined to commit to my blog in 2014! It'll be my reading new years resolution.

Let me know in the comments some of your most anticipated 2014 reads and what you're 2013 favourite picks are!

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment